- Package and Price
- Change Your Name Kit
- Reserve Now
- Baptism Request Form
- Elopements and Small Weddings
- Contact Us
- Online Payments
- Unforgettable Prank Wedding Videos
- Reflections of Marriage
- Couple Testimonials
- Vendor Testaments
- Marriage License Info
- Wedding Ceremony Locations
- Our Couples
- Wedding Resource Information
- Justice of the Peace for Wedding Ceremonies
- Your California Privacy Rights
All © Reserved
A.D. 2005 -
Civil Union License Information
How to Apply for a Civil Union License
Please print out and complete the civil union license application form. You may also get an application form at the Local Registrar’s office.
Do not sign the civil union application form before going to the Local Registrar. You must sign the application, while under oath, in the presence of the issuing authority.
Requirements for entering into a Civil Union:
For two people to establish a civil union in New Jersey, they must satisfy all of the following requirements:
* Same sex couples who meet the above requirements and are registered as domestic partners may enter into a civil union with the same person without terminating their domestic partnership first. If the domestic partnership was registered in New Jersey, it automatically terminates when the civil union is registered. If the domestic partnership was registered in another state, that state’s laws determine the impact on the domestic partnership. A couple that has previously entered into a civil union or a same-sex marriage may apply for a Reaffirmation of Civil Union License.
Where to apply:
Please contact the Local Registrar to determine if license applications are handled during business hours or by appointment.
Required documents when applying for a Civil Union license:
*Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential.
Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Requested additional documents (these documents are helpful but not required):
After you apply:
There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar. There is no 72 hour waiting period for a reaffirmation of Civil Union; however, you must bring a certified copy of your existing marriage or civil union.
The Civil Union license application is valid for six months from the date accepted, unless the Registrar has given prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year.
Only one Civil Union license may be granted from a Civil Union application. If the license expires before being used, a new application must be made and another $28 fee remitted.
The only exception to this requirement is in the case where a civil and religious ceremony are to be performed on the same day. In this case, the Local Registrar will photocopy the Civil Union application, marking one “A” and one “B”, and issue the corresponding Civil Union licenses, marking them “A” and “B” as well. One copy will be used for the religious ceremony and the other for the civil ceremony.
Reaffirmation of Civil Union: